Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mustang Supercharger

Synopsis:
  • Mustang's sleeper potential
  • Choices between V6 superchargers:
    • Vortech superchargers
    • X-Charger
    • ProCharger
Alright, time to get to the heart of the Mustang, the engine. I have seen many supercharged Mustang GT's, but not so with the V6 group. I believe supercharging a V6 Mustang would make a terrific sleeper. Stock exterior, single exhaust (providing slight modifications for best output), and a best under the hood, creeping to a light and simply unleashing it all when the light turns green. The sheer thought of the howl from the engine makes me grin.
Though it's slightly uncommon to find a supercharger for V6 Mustang, it is possible. Vortech offers a few supercharger system for the 4.0L Mustangs, a standard bumps up the horsepower to 290, while the torque is increased to 294 lb/ft, while a high output system goes beyond the 300 mark to 330hp, and 337 lb/ft of torque. All of these figures were based on Vortech's tests to the rear wheel.
The X-Charger superchager system for the S197 Mustangs increase the horsepower output to 330 as well, but does not list the added torque, though I can imagine it's a similar increase to that of Vortech's.
One last manufacturer that I found was ProCharger, who offers the 4.0L V6 Mustangs gains of 55 to 65% in horsepower, resulting from 325 to 346 depending on the supercharger. ProCharger also offers a 3 year warranty on their intercooled superchargers, which indicates that they back their product.
I would love to supercharge my Mustang, but I will wait it out at least one more year so that I can finish paying off both the vehicle and school.
Take care,
-Serge

No comments:

Post a Comment